Followers

Thursday, December 23, 2010

So This Is Christmas

AND HANUKKAH, KWANZAA, FESTIVUS, WINTER SOLSTICE, AM I MISSING ANYONE?

It as been awhile I know but I just want to holler at ya'll for a bit.

For years I have been reading and thinking, thinking and reading, a philosopher without a stone, or a soapbox or even an ivory tower or a room of my own in which to just think about stuff.

But when I swim, I think. And when I drive and sometimes when I am working, I think.

Now that I don't have to worry about being unbiased because I was laid off my reporting job, I can say what I feel and feel what I say.

First, this whole Christmas thing sometimes bothers me.

I mean, it has pretty much been proved that Jesus the Christ was born in the Spring.

And most educated people know that the early Christrian (now called Roman Catholic) church pretty much co-opted pagan holy days for its own purposes and renamed them for a Christian calendar.

So, winter solstice became Christmas and spring equinox and a pagan goddess became Easter and the resurrection.

Also check out the English derivation from the Viking for Friday, Sunday, Thursday, (Thor's Day).

I do not have a quarrel with celebrating Christmas now, but I do have a quarrel with people using the holiday for greed or for manipulation.

Children have been receiving gifts at Christmas since St. Nicholas for some reason decided to gift the kids in his parish with presents.

Since then, the Western world has gone over the top.

Car commercials, watches, blenders, washing machines, sweat pants, jeans, exercise equipment, games, etc.

What does this have to do with the birth of Christ? Or for that matter, Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights, when it is said the Jews had enough oil for a very short time but instead the lamp burned for eight days and nights.

What is important is to remember that Christ preached love, whether one believed He was the son of God or a prophet, as the Jewish, Islamic and Hindu faiths preach.

God personifies love, and love is what we need to give to each other this and every holy season.

The tree, okay, again, pagan, but I love it.

Over the years we have mixed up so many practices and customs to call it Christmas that really except for the love part, none of it is actually Christ-related.

I am not bagging on Christmas, don't get me wrong. But if you think I believe I need to express my love by buying someone a Mercedes or BMW or Jag, fuhgedaboudit. Even if I had the money, I would specifically not buy a car.

Christ walked everywhere, the Israelites walked everywhere, except for Saul, who was a conceited bastid and got what he deserved for trying to kill the future King David.

So, this season, walk a little, smile a little, laugh a lot, be with friends, nosh a little, drink a little and fill your hearts with love.

That's all she wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment